Monday, August 20, 2007

"Uncrustables" Unwrapped

I found this handy-dandy sandwich press at none other than a thrift store! It's a Pampered Chef Press N Seal. You take two bread slices, spread peanut butter on both sides of the bread and a dollop of jam inbetween. I didn't do this in the beginning and the jam would stain the bread. The pnb acts as a sealant. lol You could also make these with potted meat, or chopped up left over meat, or whatever is your fancy. I usually buy the cheapie bread because I can throw the crusts away, or feed them to the birds that flock to my compost pile. And the sandwiches adhere better. I am showing you three pictures because I actually set the pocket sandwiches on a cookie tray and freeze them. Once they are sturdy, I put them back in the bread bag and seal them off. And pop them in the freezer. This will insure quick and efficient bento-making regardless if I have time or not! I bought potted meat and will report later how this fares. I have a great cookbook called "How to Make Your own Groceries" and I'm going to look for more ideas to incorporate into this new passion of mine. My daughter was thrilled, she said,"Now this is a hobby I can get into Mom" ROFL. She's 17!

1. PRESS DOWN FIRMLY AND WIGGLE-WIGGLE-WIGGLE THE CUTTER.

2. VOILA! YOU HAVE A HOMEMADE POCKET SANDWICH

3. SET ON A COOKIE TRAY AND FREEZE. RETURN TO BAG AND PUT IN FREEZER.

5 comments:

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

I wish I could find one of those over here in Japan. Very cute!

Leigh-AnneD said...

Just a thought - you could also save the crusts to make bread pudding. My mom used to save all the heels of bread in the freezer and then use them for the pudding.

Mer said...

I love this!

Unknown said...

Exactly what I googled for!! I hope I can find one!

Unknown said...

hi Im looking for this sort of thing too. How did the potted meat fare after freezing by the way?